Zoning Permit

A Building Permit/Zoning Certificate starts the building process. If you are planning new construction or repairs contact the Tama County Zoning Office to determine if a Building Permit/Zoning Certificate is required. 

Zoning Permit Application Requirements

Zoning Permit Application

  • Along with the application, you will need to submit a detailed site plan which will be reviewed by zoning staff to ensure the proposed structure complies with appropriate zoning district setback requirements.
  • At this time, Tama County has not adopted building code regulations. It is recommended that structural, electrical and plumbing components comply with the Uniform Building Code or the State of Iowa Building Code. 
  • An E911 address must be issued by the Tama County Emergency Management Office prior to the issuance of a building permit. 
  • If your new construction will be using a private septic system or water supply, you will need to obtain septic and well permits. These are obtained by contacting the Tama County Environmental Health Office at 641-484-4788.

Contacting Tama County before you start building to find out the requirements will help the building process go more smoothly with less chance of delays. If you have any questions whether or not your project requires a permit, contact the Zoning Office.

Stay Connected

Sign up to receive notifications when board meetings and agendas are posted, job openings are announced, and more.

Customize Your Notifications
Tama County logo (white) Contact Us Department Hours Holidays